Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Some final gap year thoughts...

Here at the Lattitude office we love to hear feedback from our volunteers, especially when they are having an awesome gap year. Today we recieved a wonderful letter from Kat,who is nearly finished her placement in Hamilton, New Zealand. We wanted to share some of the things she said with you all...


Dear Sharyn, Katie, Michelle and Laura,
I Just wanted to drop you all a quick note as my placement is
coming to an end...

As I’m writing this it is less than 3 weeks until I return to the UK, so I am crazy-busy organising mode… I did want to take a last opportunity to thanks you all for this year though, it’s been the most incredible experience and I’ve had the most amazing time ever!

Working at Waikato Diocesan School has been
so brilliant; I can’t thank you enough for getting me this placement. From day on everybody went out of their way to make me feel a proper member of the school
community. They’ve given me so many opportunities and allowed me to get involved with so much, especially in the drama department (between directing, lighting
and even acting in the performances, I don’t think I could have done much more!) and now that I am heading home and looking for a job in theatre I’ve acquired so many valuable skills which will benefit me hugely in the future.

I’ve also met some amazing people at Dio, and between the school staff, the boarding staff and the girls themselves, there’s always someone to talk to or
laugh with, and I really do feel like I have made some friends for life.

Throughout the year there have always been people around to support me through the bad times and to enjoy the good ones with me. Even a smile and a wave form a year nine pupil can brighten up a dull day. It’s going to be incredibly hard for me to leave Dio, and I know I’m going to miss it so much, but I wouldn’t change a thing about this year and I can’t imagine enjoying any placement more.

I’ve also had some incredible experiences outside of working, and my travels around New Zealand and further afield have provided me with memories that I will cherish forever. Driving the whole of the South Island with 14 other volunteers was so much fun (even if it did cost us 2 cars) and our weekend trips away have been amazing. I never imagine that I could be able to see or do so much in a year and that there would be so many places to visit!

I’ve also been to Tonga and Australia since I’ve been over here. Two very different experiences but both
amazing, and a brilliant opportunity to see a bit more of this part of the world. Life in Tonga is so different to anything I have ever experienced before, and I did so much in my 2 weeks in Australia, I’m going home a fully fledged traveler!

I decided when I came to New Zealand that I was going to adopt the attitude of “try everything once” but I had no idea of the things I’d end up doing – I’m heading home having been skydiving, bungee jumping,abseiling, black and white water rafting, sandboarding, mountain climbing, scuba diving, and walking around the outside of the Sky tower in Auckland! I’d always thought of
myself as a bit of a daredevil but this year has seen me doing things I never imagined I would do, and it’s been incredible; a few white-knuckle moments but its been awesome having the chance to do so much and I’ve loved every minute of it!

It certainly hasn’t all been smooth sailing, and plenty of things have gone wrong this year; loosing 2 cars on our south island trip was a bit of a setback, 12 weeks on crutches put a bit of a dampener on my adventures, and of course there have been days when I’ve just wanted to pack my bags and go home. But I’m so happy I stuck it out; for every bad day there have been so many happy memories and amazing experiences, and I know I will remember this year forever.

So as I prepare to leave the land of the long white cloud, I wanted to thank all of you for making this year possible. You’ve all been amazing and without your organisation, support and friendship I think this year would have been very different. It’s been fantastic to meet you all and to get to know you this year, I’ll miss you a lot. Thanks again for an incredible year, all the
best for the future, and keep in touch!

Love and
Hugs
Kat







No comments:

Post a Comment